Monday, September 6, 2010

bye-bye summer

I was born to be a teacher. Literally. Two of my grandparents were teachers, my mom is a teacher, my aunt is a teacher, my other aunt is a teacher (speech pathologist like me, actually) and I grew up celebrating the end of one school year and preparing for the beginning of the next. I helped my mom get her room ready every year; putting up bulletin boards, taking out those thick, brightly colored textbooks. Reading books that I was supposed to be putting on her bookshelves, and taking some home to read later. Helping her write names on desks, chore lists, popsicle sticks. Walking through an empty school that smells like school, only cleaner. I loved every minute of it (and still do).
Something happens to me in the fall. It's like a new, fresh start as soon as the air gets a little cooler (and usually, here, it warms back up and cools off, then warms up, etc. until it starts snowing). I can start a new year with my old job and meet new kids and it is my most favorite time of year.
I love dreary days when I light my FAVORITE candle and put out my fall decorations and wait for leaves to turn colors. I love baking things made out of pumpkin and drinking apple cider. I love unpacking boxes of things I put away last year. I love going into my empty school, my empty classroom and starting all over, putting things away. I wouldn't change a thing about my job so that I get this fresh start every fall!
Don't get me wrong, we've had a WONDERFUL summer around here. I got the chance to lay around with my boys all day, play in the sandbox, swim in the pool (kiddie pool, people), read books, clean my house (really well during naps), soak up some hugs, break up some fights and just enjoy my kids. And now, I'm ready to go back to work.
I will miss hanging out with my kids all day, sleeping in until 7:00, sitting on the floor reading books until whenever, running to the store whenever, running to the park whenever, thinking about what I might make for supper and making treats for when the boys got up from their naps.
I will NOT miss the fighting, biting, and stealing of toys. Nor will I miss changing diapers. That is definitely not something I will ever miss :).
And now, when I work all day and come home to my boys, I truly enjoy my time with them. I will rarely have moments where I need to "get away" from them. We'll read books, and play for a condensed amount of time, but still have a lot of fun!
I'm good when I'm busy. That's something I've learned about myself. I love to relax, but I'm good when I'm busy, so bring on the school year!! I'm ready for it!

No comments: