Tuesday, July 20, 2010

my new love

Oh, Jessica. You are my new best friend. I'm not sure how to tell you quite how happy you make us around here. Really. Thanks!
I just got this FANTASTIC cookbook!


I have picky eaters. One of my boys is picky (the other would eat garbage if I fed it to him) and my husband is picky. Like ridiculous, gagging on vegetables, can't even stomach it in front of the kids picky. He is terrible.
Enter Deceptively Delicious.
It's a wonderful cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld where she created kid-friendly recipes with added nutrients and lower fat, sugar, icky stuff.
Such as:


(Scrambled Eggs)
You may not be able to read it (it's called focus, Kristine, but I'm not a photographer - duh.). So, it says there is cauliflower in the eggs. Yes, you puree cauliflower (it's not necessary to get carried away and do 3 heads of cauliflower like I did- one should be fine) and you put the puree in with the eggs, some sour cream, cheese, blah blah and it's GREAT! Andrew ate it and Luke ate it (of course) and even ADAM ate it.
Then I told him what was in it and he said "What? Why would you do that? GROSS!".
And I laughed.

Take a gander at this one:


Yes, cookies with chickpeas (a.k.a. garbanzo beans for those of you that may not know)

And there are tons of recipes! Mac and cheese, burgers, muffins, bars, soups, chicken nuggets, pizza, lasagna, etc.
LOVE it!


Here I am making zucchini in my old babyfood maker (which you don't need, but I have so it's serving another purpose and works great!)

So you cook the veggies, blend them/process/puree them, and then freeze them in baggies and stick them in the freezer so they are ready to add to a recipe.


And you don't tell your husband.




P.S. I wanted to let you all know that prior to actually having children I saw Jessica S. on Oprah. I said "that's dumb. When I have kids, they will eat their veggies without me having to do anything stupid like hide them in foods. that's just setting them up for failure. Blah blah blah."

Then I had kids.



P.P.S. I didn't get paid by a sponsor for this post or anything, but if you want to pay me, I accept. :)

3 comments:

janie said...

I love that cookbook too Kristine...fortunately my girls and husband do like veggies, but getting a little extra veggies in never hurts! My favorite is the mac & cheese. I'm not as ambitious as you though...I just keep my cupboards stocked with jars of baby food squash. Squash is so mild in flavor you can add it to anything and no one would ever know. ;) Spaghetti sauce, tator tot casserole (any casserole for that matter), soups, etc. I didn't care for the chick pea cookies, mine turned out kinda mushy (not in a good way). I wanna try the brownies, donuts, and cupcakes...now that I have an oven, I can get crackin' :) Good luck getting those veggies in! Oh, if you want a popsicle treat, get a popsicle form for the freezer and make them with V8 v-fusion, those are good too!

Anne said...

sounds like she's a sneaky liar. but, whatever works! i should buy that book!

Vickmark Family said...

Maggie loves veggies but I would still love this book. maybe to sneak some in for me :D