Saturday, January 31, 2009

Shot in the leg and I'm to blame (aka Thursday morning)

I've been meaning to write, but I just simply got busy these past couple of days. My parents came to visit (again) and the boys have been awake more and more (see previous posts) which means that I have less and less time to write. Anyway, back to the topic: shots. The boys got their Synagis shots on Thursday morning. For those of you that don't know, Synagis is a medication/vaccination for preventing RSV in preemies. RSV is a respiratory virus that many children get, however full-term babies have mature lungs so the virus is not as serious for them. My babies (although receiving steroid shots when they were in utero via their mom's rear end) still have immature lungs, and if they got a cold or another virus could be very ill, hospitalized, and/or the cold could become fatal. So, they qualified to get this medication because they were premature, multiples, with low birth weights. This med is $2000 per shot. Yes, you read that right two thousand dollars per shot, per baby for the next 4 months - thank goodness for insurance!
So, our Thursday morning started out with the lovely nurse coming to our home to shoot my babies up. They each got weighed - Luke weighs 6 lbs. 10 oz! and Andrew weighs 6 lbs. 3 0z. - measured, shot, and monitered for adverse reactions (like not breathing). They HATED the whole thing. First, they hate being naked and second getting the shot was awful and I had to help hold their limbs down! YUCK! Our nurse, Donna, will be coming back in a month for another round, and I'm pleased to report neither one had a bad reaction or really any reaction for that matter. After their shots, they ate and resumed business as usual.
Oh, the whole point of that story was that my boys are gaining weight quite nicely if I do say so myself! They have gained about 2 lbs. in the 3 weeks they've been home and have chubby little cheeks now! I have new pictures to post, but right now I'm so tired that I'm just going to bed and I'll get pictures on tomorrow - stay tuned and GOODNIGHT!!

No comments: