Wow! The beginning of the school year is always so stressful! We just had our first week of workshops, and all the teachers are walking around like zombies. You probably don't feel sorry for us, but it is really hard to get back into a routine, and you should feel sorry for us anyway. Teaching is a great profession - I would not do anything else - but it is ridiculously busy.
Here's how my week went:
Monday - meeting in the morning, organize my new caseload, create and fill in my handy "caseload" chart that I can NEVER lose because it has EVERYTHING on it, track down files, eat lunch (the fun part of the day!), track down paper and put up bulletin board, lug boxes of supplies to my room, put up other bulletin board, return messages from other special ed. teachers about my caseload, track down files again, go home.
Tuesday - meeting in morning, send out emails to start scheduling, return emails regarding students that moved to Middle School, return calls regarding students that moved to Middle School, eat lunch :), start looking over files for new students and man! they were long!, put my head on my desk, send out more emails about scheduling this year, eat supper!, change, put on makeup for open house - which of course people show up for 45 min. early - why not? I have nothing else to do but wait for them to come trapzing into my room, direct parents at open house, meet new student's parents and new students, get growled at by one particularly unhappy boy, go home.
Wednesday - staff meeting for new MAP testing, return phone calls regarding home schooled students, learn choreography for opening assembly song, attempt to start scheduling, eat lunch, read through report for new student, get organized for IEP meeting, have IEP meeting (which lasted 2 1/2 hours by the way), go home (at 5:30 pm).
Thursday - practice choreography for assembly, staff meeting, work on schedule, get email saying that I have to test 11-15 new Kindergarteners next week, cool down from email, make phone calls regarding the IEP meeting yesterday, start draft of goals for yet another meeting today, eat lunch, go to IEP meeting (this one was only 30 min!!!), get phone call from other special ed. teacher telling me their schedule - which now makes my schedule null and void, start over on schedule, take papers off wall in hallway from last year, try to start scheduling again, give up, go to apologize to teacher because I was snotty on the phone, run into physical impairment specialist, discuss student, go home.
So, that was my week. Sorry it got so long, I just needed to let everyone know exactly what my job consists of - and that is before I have seen any children!!! Not only am I a Speech Language Pathologist, but I am also a counselor, dancer, singer, organizer, computer genius (I can make a great spreadsheet :) ), extra tester, cleaner, and decorator. And that's just my day job!
2 comments:
you are 1 busy girl!! :)Isn't it crazy just how much you run around in the first week!!! I think we all need another vacation after that...and I don't mean a long weekend.
Hi Kristine! Trav finally gave me the name of your blog. We also have a blog, www.themusatovs.blogspot.com (clever, eh?). Sorry to hear you're stuck in the hospital, but it has to be comforting to know you're in good hands. Good luck on this journey and just remember the reward will be more than you ever could have imagined (x2). :) Take care, Anna
Post a Comment