Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Routine

I thought I'd give everyone a little taste of my days here in the hospital. At 7:00am the lab techs come to draw some blood - they check my potassium I think, it was low this week, so I had to take horse pills. 7:15-7:30 a nurse or nurse assistant comes to check my blood pressure and temperature - both are typically good, by the way. Hey something's got to be good, right? 8-8:30 my breakfast comes - I get to choose and the food's not that terrible - it's actually quite good. After breakfast they monitor the babies and me. They strap monitors to my belly and check heartbeats and contractions - those of you with children know what I'm talking about. That lasts 1/2 hour or so. Usually I have 1-2 contractions, which is normal for twin pregnancy. For the babies, they look to see if their heart rates are stable and if the heartbeats accelerate and decelerate on their own. Usually they go crazy and move like lunatics, so that's good! Around 9:30-10, I get to take a shower in my very own bathroom! This is an improvement - when I was upstairs I shared a bathroom, and if I needed a shower I had to be wheeled down the hall - yuck! Then I get ready for the day and set myself up with some books and things to do. I either watch some tv or read, and order lunch around 11-11:30. They bring me some lunch, and housekeeping comes to clean the room. The nurse or nursing assistant checks on me every hour or so, getting me water, answering questions, etc. The afternoon passes pretty much the same - tv, read, nap. The nurse shifts change at 3:00, so shortly after someone comes back to take my temperature and blood pressure again. Sometime in the evening they monitor me and the boys again. I have something for supper, Adam shows up around 7:00 and we go to bed at 10.
It's already been 5 days, so I think I'm doing ok here I guess. On Monday, my IV may be able to be taken out and I may be started on an oral medication for contractions. Then, we wait and see again.
So, that's my daily routine - not that exciting, but I am being taken good care of. I'm hoping to get a loaner computer tomorrow from school, so if I do, there will be more updates. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Petrobaby said...

Thanks for the updates! I'll be checking it often...
Hope you are hanging in there -
Tabitha