Saturday, January 3, 2009

Baths, Babies, and Bottles

We get to visit our boys every day, and usually have some jobs to take care of. The nurses save diaper duty for us when we get there (that's both good and bad - good for practice, bad for gross diapers!). We normally get to hold the boys while they get their tube feedings, but last night was a special night. We got to give the boys baths! I started with Luke, and he screamed his head off the entire time - all 4 minutes! After the bath, he got wrapped up nice and toasty and I got to feed him a bottle. He did pretty well until I tried to burp him and ended up cutting off his air flow. The boys are so little that they have a hard time sucking/swallowing/breathing and can be overstimulated when getting burped, and get really worn out with the added excitement of a bath. What a bad mother...
Adam took care of Andrew's bath, and Andrew smiled the entire time. He absolutely LOVED it!! He did not drink his bottle very well, probably having expended most of his energy smiling and looking at his daddy during bath time. Of course Adam gets the easy job!
Today they started getting weaned out of their incubators. We'll have to wait and see if they can regulate their body temperatures enough to be in cribs like regular babies. Every day they just get stronger and stronger and closer and closer to coming home with us!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your baby stories!

CEBrecht said...

love hearing about the adventures! keep them coming! how are YOU feeling???

Anonymous said...

That's great to hear! I'm glad that they're getting closer to coming home. In the meantime, enjoy your nights of SLEEP :)